COVID-19 Specimen Technician
Location: Essex Junction, Vermont
Garnet has an exciting opportunity with immediate openings for Specimen Technicians to facilitate collection of COVID-19, Influenza, and other common pathogens in an effort support public health and safety by increasing access to high-quality and reliable testing.
Garnet Transport Medicine, a division of Garnet Health, is a dynamic and innovative multi-disciplinary healthcare delivery company specializing in emergency medical services, basic and advanced life support interfacility ambulance transport, clinical logistics coordination, and mobile diagnostic testing service lines. Garnet provides services to patients, clients, and partners in the Vermont and Upstate NY region. Garnet has an exciting opportunity with immediate openings for Specimen Technicians to facilitate collection of COVID-19, Influenza, and other common pathogens in an effort support public health and safety by increasing access to high-quality and reliable testing. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply based on the job functions and requirements listed below.COVID-19 Specimen Technician: We recognize there is a risk associated in working directly with potentially positive COVID-19 patients. Garnet will provide the necessary PPE to protect our technicians and patients from exposures. We continually work to improve safety protocols for both staff and patients during this rapidly changing environment, however recognition of this risk is required for employment.
- Garnet offers competitive compensation and a generous company subsidized benefits package including paid time off, health, dental, and vision insurance at a low cost to employees. Successful candidates will be self-motivated, detail oriented, responsible, reliable, and provide high-quality customer service.
- Base hourly compensation for this position is $16 to $24 per hour commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Base hourly compensation for Paramedic is $25
- Working under the supervision of Corporate Medical Direction, the COVID-19 Technician is responsible for the administration of specimen collection via Nasopharyngeal, Anterior Nares, Nasal, and Oropharyngeal methods in mobile and fixed testing environments. Administrative tasks associated with this position include checking patients into our EMR system, generating orders, printing specimen labels, customer service, and practice operations tasks. With the support of in office administrative staff, the COVID Technician will complete the administration of testing including:
- Registration and check in of patients and test subjects;
- Collecting specimen samples via rout and method required by test
- Administering a Nasal, Anterior Nares, Nasopharyngeal, or Oropharyngeal Swab
- Appropriately label and package specimen for transport
- Office duties relating to organization, documentation, cleaning, and other tasks as assigned
- Registration of patients is non-clinical. Non-clinical applicants will not need any patient facing experience, but does need to have customer relations experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record for the previous 3 years
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive criminal and regulatory background check, including Department of Health and Human Services OIG sanctions for fraud waste and abuse and Vermont Vulnerable Populations registry
- Must be able to work eight(8) and twelve(12) hour shifts
- The Technician reports directly to the Director of Operations and to the designated shift supervisor when applicable. The Technician also works under the Garnet Corporate Medical Director and other rendering providers when facilitating patient facing activities or procedures.
Freedom to Act/Accountability
- The Technician has freedom to function independently within the defined protocols and procedures established by Corporate Medical Direction, rendering providers, and Garnet leadership and is accountable to established regulatory standards and methodologies consistent with industry best practice. The Technician has no supervisory responsibilities and does not manage any direct reports.
- The Technician will interact with rendering and referring providers, technicians, patients, family, and administrative staff throughout their day. The Technician will have regular contact during their shift with the general public, patients, their families, and healthcare representatives. The Technician may provide functional guidance within their approved scope of practice to other team members when appropriate. It is expected that all employees will support the Garnet organizational mission statement and comport themselves with compassion, integrity, professional excellence, respect, stewardship, and community.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency (GED) required
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) - Credentialed at the EMT, AEMT, or Paramedic level preferred
- Licensed Vermont EMT, AEMT, or Paramedic Preferred
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- One (1)-Two (2) years of healthcare experience with direct patient care required Garnet reserves the right to request prospective candidates to provide documentation of their healthcare experience and clinical skills
- Experience with Emergency Medical Services, hospital inpatient, physician practice, clinical laboratory, urgent care, or other related field required
- Experience with specimen collection and specimen handling strongly preferred
- Experience with office equipment, electronic medical records software, phones, and internet based video conferencing strongly preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) EMS training and experience preferred
- Medical Terminology
- Communicate effectively
- Demonstrate clinical competence in basic patient assessment (identifying signs of acute distress)
- Practice and knowledge of Universal Precautions, isolation procedures, and appropriate infection control measures during routine specimen collection
- Ability to apply and safely remove Personal Protective Equipment (including full face respirator, surgical mask, N95 mask, isolation gown, and gloves) required
- Must be able to demonstrate competency in operating computer systems and clinical documentation systems.
- EMT, AEMT, Paramedic preferred
- CPR preferred
Conditions of Hire / Employment
- Valid Vermont Driver’s License with clean driving record for previous 3 years
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive State and Federal background check including inquiries into multiple healthcare and human services agencies:
- VT Agency of Human Services Child Protection Registry- VT Division of Licensing and Protection Adult Abuse Registry- List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and the General Services Administration (GSA)- VT and NY State Medicaid Fraud
- Ability to pass pre-employment tests appropriate to your clinical licensure to include:
- Medical terminology
- While performing the duties of this job, the Technician may be required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance visions, color visions, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The Technician must also be capable of the following:
- Must be able to sit and drive a vehicle using frequent wrist motions and forward reaches
- Walk, climb stairs, carry medical equipment up to 70lbs
- Ability to wear N95 particulate facemask, Powered Air Purifying Respirator PAPR, or full face respirator without showing signs of panic or distress
- Full Time - 40-hours /wk
- Part Time – 20-hours /wk
- Per Diem – No Scheduled Hours
Please submit any questions regarding the Specimen Technician position to the Administrative Coordinator at email@example.com
Garnet Transport Medicine is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Garnet Transport Medicine and Sparrow Healthcare Recruitment do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.