Location: Essex Junction, Vermont
The Paramedic functions as an integral member of a multidisciplinary transport team, planning, providing, and evaluating direct care to patients in all states of health and wellness in the pre-hospital, intra-facility and inter-facility settings.
Location: Essex Junction, Vermont
Reports to: Director of Operations/Shift Supervisor
Summary: Garnet Transport Medicine provides unparalleled 24/7 ambulance transport services to healthcare institutions and facilities throughout Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and New York. As a company founded by a Paramedic, we are uniquely aware of what makes a great transport medicine team. We offer competitive compensation, benefits, professional support and ongoing professional development and training.
The Paramedic functions as an integral member of a multidisciplinary transport team, planning, providing, and evaluating direct care to patients in all states of health and wellness in the pre-hospital, intra-facility and inter-facility settings. The Paramedic provides advanced level interventions to patients during transport by ground ambulance, in the pre-hospital setting or from one healthcare facility to another.
*Sign on Bonus Available*
Reporting Relationships: The Paramedic reports to the Garnet Communications Specialist when tasked with transports during their shift. While working on the ambulance, the Paramedic is the primary patient caregiver for all clinical interactions above the VT EMS AEMT scope of practice, and while on the ambulance, is the senior crew member responsible for all clinical and operational outcomes. The Paramedic receives standing orders from the VT EMS Treatment Protocols and the District Medical Director and online medical direction from the Emergency Department Medical Control Physician.
Freedom to Act/Accountability: The Paramedic has freedom to function independently within their State of Vermont Licensed Scope of Practice while working in the pre-hospital setting or during a transport. While working in any institutional facility the Paramedic may take direction from a duly licensed Attending Physician so long as it is within the scope of VT EMS Protocol and they have been appropriately trained to perform those functions.
Working Relationships:The Paramedic will interact with providers, technicians, and staff throughout client facilities, as well as from other facilities throughout Vermont, New York, greater New England, and Canada. The Paramedic has regular contact during their shift with the general public, patients, their families, and visitors of healthcare and other regional facilities. The Paramedic may provide functional guidance to other team members. It is expected that all employees will support the Garnet organizational mission statement and comport themselves with compassion, integrity, professional excellence, respect, stewardship and community.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency (GED) required
- Nationally Registered Paramedic
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Three (3)-Five (5) years of Paramedic experience with direct patient care required
- Experience with high acuity interfacility patient transports
- BLS and ALS EMS training and experience
- Communicate effectively
- Demonstrate clinical excellence in patient assessment and treatment
- Practice and knowledge of Universal Precautions and appropriate infection control measures when caring for a patient or securing from a transport
- Completion of driver training program and ability to drive the ambulance within three (3) months of hire
- Must be able to demonstrate competency in operating computer systems and clinical documentation systems.
- BCLS Certification (required)
- AHA ACLS Certification (required)
- PHTLS or approved trauma course (required)
- AHA PALS Certification (required)
- AAP NRP Certification (required within six months of hire)
- NIMS 100, 200 and 700 (required)
- HAZMAT Awareness (required)
- EVOC (required within 90-days)
- PEPP (recommended)
- AMLS Certification (recommended)
- STABLE (recommended)
- FPC or CCP-C (required within one year after completion of orientation)
- ABLS (recommended)
- Other as approved by Garnet Clinical Leadership
Conditions of Hire/Employment:
- Valid Vermont Driver’s License with clean driving record for previous 5 years
- Valid Vermont Paramedic License with no previous or pending sanctions
- Valid New York Paramedic License with no previous or pending sanctions
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians Paramedic
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive State and Federal background check including inquiries into multiple healthcare and human services agencies:
- VT Agency of Human Services Child Protection Registry
- VT Division of Licensing and Protection Adult Abuse Registry
- List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and the General Services Administration (GSA)
- VT and NY State Medicaid Fraud
- While performing the duties of this job, the Paramedic is required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance visions, color visions, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT)
- Must be able to sit and drive an ambulance using frequent wrist motions and forward reaches
- Walk, climb stairs, carry medical equipment up to 70lbs
- Push and pull wheelchairs while ascending or descending stairs with 130 pound patient
- Lift, push and pull stretcher to load and unload 150 pound patient (with assistance of one other Paramedic)
- Lift and transfer loads up to 150 pound (with assistance of one other Paramedic)
- Ability to wear N95 particulate facemask or Powered Air Purifying Respirator PAPR without showing signs of panic or distress
Garnet Transport Medicine is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Garnet Transport Medicine and Sparrow Healthcare Recruitment do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.